The Education Platform has a powerful search page to help you discover which books are available to be unlocked.
You don't need to be signed-in to use it. You can access it via this shortcut: https://educationplatform.co.uk/works
This guide covers the following points:
- Accessing the Search page
- Searching by ISBN
- Key Search page features
- Using filters to refine your search
- Interpreting your search results
- Reviewing individual book results
- If you need more help
Accessing the Search page
There is a search box on every page of the site that enables you to enter either title, author, keywords or the 13-digit ISBN to find the book. Simply enter your query and hit enter or click on the magnifying glass icon.
You can also use the "Primary" and "Secondary" links on the top bar to access searches which are preferred by the desired school level.
We have emphasised these features in the screenshot below.
Searching by ISBN
If you know the 13-digit ISBN number of the book you are interested in, you can enter it in the search box as mentioned above. Please ensure that you enter it without dashes.
Key Search page features
We have developed the search page to make it easy to refine and move through your search results.
The Search page will always have the following navigation features:
- The search box, this functions the same way as on other pages.
- The filters, which are described in greater detail later.
- The central results box, which contains rows of book or copy results.
- The favourite icon, which you can click on to add a book or copy to your favourites. This one is filled in red because we have added the book to our favourites.
- The page selector, which lets you page through your results.
- The row selector, which allows you to display more or less rows of results on a page.
We have numbered these in the screenshot below, this is a blank search with no keywords entered:
Using filters to refine your search
The screenshot below shows the filters you can use to narrow your results after searching. You can also filter without entering a search in the box, if you would like to browse through what's on the Platform.
List of filters:
You can filter by each of:
- Format (Book or Magazine)
- Language (English or Cymraeg/Welsh)
- Level (Primary or Secondary)
- Exam board
- Key Stage
You can also use the switch to see only matching books where copies have been made at your school rather than matching books on the Platform.
Interpreting your search results
Once you have entered your search, whether on the Search page or another page, one of the following will happen
- If your search has results, you will see a list of results on the new page opened when you submitted your query.
- Searching by 13-digit ISBN yields exact matches, so you should only see one result if successful.
- If you have no results, it is likely that the book has not been added to the Platform. But you can double check by trying to unlock your physical copy. You should also double check your search term for typos.
- If you have no results when searching for a copy, this would indicate that no copies have been made which match your query.
In the individual result below, the book in question has been unlocked and copied at our school.
You will see that, as it is unlocked we have the option to "Make a new Copy". Also, as it has been copied previously, we have the option to see these copies. We can additionally click on the link to "Share this search result". You might find this last option handy if you would like to let a colleague know that a book they use in their teaching is on the Education Platform.
Reviewing book results
Whether or not a book is unlocked, you can click on its title or cover image. Both are links to the individual page for books. By clicking through you can learn more about books as seen in the screenshot below:
The pages for books have tables of contents and an overview with more information about the book. If the book isn't unlocked at your school, you can unlock it by clicking on the "Scan Barcode to Unlock" button:
You can also click on the "Buy this book" button to navigate to the publisher's website if you are interested in acquiring copies for your school.
If you need more help
We will be happy to help you further if you have finding books or copies on the Education Platform. You can contact us for help at email@example.com .
As mentioned above, if you can't find books it is likely because they haven't been added to the Education Platform. We will be happy to receive requests for any books, so that we can approach the publisher to licence them.