This guide article discusses the process of getting users registered on the Education Platform. It is intended to help school admins control user registrations by teachers at their school.
In this article, we cover the following:
- The background: how users in different circumstances complete their registrations and important concepts like approved domains.
- Accessing the Registration Queue (you need to be a school admin to do this)
- The Registration Queue table and available actions for school admins
- What happens after an account is authorised
When users register to use the Education Platform, there are a couple of possibilities for how this may be handled, depending on the circumstances:
- Where users use an email from an approved domain, they will be recognised automatically by the Platform and able to set a password and finish registering without intervention.
- Where users are not using an approved domain in their email address, they will enter the registration queue and require approval.
- If there is a school admin user at the school, they will be able to review registrations pending approval.
- If there isn't a school admin user at your school, we at CLA will review registrations to approve users we can connect with schools.
About approved domains
Where we can, we try to assign approved domains to schools. What this means is that where teachers use a distinctive email address such as "firstname.lastname@example.org" which is specific to the the school, we have tried to add this information to the Platform so that they can be recognised automatically. There will be cases where we haven't managed to do this yet, so please do let us know if we can add one for your school by contacting us.
Accessing the Registration Queue
You can find the Registration queue in your administration area if you are a school admin user:
For more information about the administration area, please see this guide.
The Registration Queue table
In this example we have two users:
Bob hasn't verified his registration yet, so his status is unverified . Alice has, but she won't be able to leave the registration queue until she is approved by CLA or her school admin and subsequently sets her password.
School admin actions
When an account is "Unverified", school admins can resend the verification emails which users need to finish setting up their account. If an account doesn't require approval, it will leave the queue when the user verifies their account
After verification, and before an account is approved, the account will be "Pending" status. School admins can either block or approve user registrations at this point.
The available actions for the school admin on user registrations are on the last column of the table under "Actions". By scrolling the table to the right, we can have a better look at these:
Bob is "Unverified", so the school admin can block his registration or resend his verification email if he has missed it. If Bob is not known at the school, his registration can be blocked.
Alice has verified her registration, so her status is "Pending". This means the school admin can approve her registration. As with Bob, she can be blocked should this be necessary.
After an account is approved
Once an account has been approved by a school admin user at your school or CLA, the user will be able to complete their registration by setting a password. Until they do this, their status in the registration queue will be "Approved".
Alice has been approved, so now the only action available is to resend her password set email. This way, if her automated email from the Education Platform has expired she can be sent a fresh link so that she can set a password.
How we can help you further
Please let us know if we can add an approved domain for your school. We are keen to hear from you and your colleagues so please contact our help desk and encourage your colleagues to do so if you would like help with anything.